Itchy Feet

Saturday, June 10, 2006

The Bermuda Triangle

I feel like we've got nothing left to lose.
As I write this, I have just come off the phone with Jon, who has had one hell of a day.
It appears the immigration process for Bermuda has not advanced one iota since the forms went in more than two weeks ago and despite an agreement that the Foundation would go straight to the minister who could bypass the waiting process and issue the necessary visas because of the need to hurry our applications, this has not been done.
Today, Jon was reprimanded by the Foundation's executive director for not having sent off for a police record. We agreed five weeks ago we did not have time to do this because of the urgent nature of our application, because it would take at least two months and wouldn't be needed with the ministerial approach.
Jon and I spent a long time on the phone, after he had basically packed all his bags and decided to leave the island. We agreed he would talk to the Foundation's 'good cop' and tell him he was going to leave the island on Monday and then hope that the ministerial path would be followed and that if and when the visas were okayed, he could fly back to Bermuda.
This would allow us to 'regroup', as Jon put it, in London, where I would fly back to via New York on June 21, as I already had a flight to Newark and one to London that I could bring forward.
Well, this was desperately disappointing, but after a long conversation, I realised it was better to cut our losses now, especially as Jon is only going to continue having run-ins with the executive director, as the two of them don't see eye-to-eye. He promised me things would work out and we would be able to get something sorted in the UK and I trust him and agree with him on that and will support him, because I love him.
Well, fast forward several hours -- during which I went and opened my heart to Hal and Lorna (I don't know what I would have done without them during my time in Lima....it's wonderful to have such good friends) -- to now.
As I say, I have just spoken with Jon, who is currently in a camp bed in the rat-pit that he is renovating. He had a long chat with Alan, who desperately wants to keep Jon as part of the Foundation and is confident that the visa issue will get sorted and has said he will go the ministerial route this week.
Jon didn't mention what we had agreed that he would leave on Monday. He felt really guilty after we had agreed on this and he apparently forgot to bring it up in the conversation. This leaves me massively up in the air, as it does him, because we are back to the situation we were in before all today's heart ache and disappointment and reconciliation with the fact that Bermuda was no longer an option.
I am sure things will continue to change with startling pace, but at the moment, my plans to go back to Bermuda on June 20/21st are back on, although to be fair, if I didn't feel like this was out only option, I would gladly wipe my hands of the damn thing for ever. I know it could be great, but I have had enough. And, more than that I am trying to keep calm and not worry too much for the sake of the baby. I am looking after myself, and I don't want others to worry, but if you can keep your fingers and toes crossed for us, I'd appreciate it.
So, the legends about the Bermuda triangle are true. It will suck you up and mess you around and if you're very unlucky really screw up your life.
Bitter and twisted, moi?
I'm going to bed now....wishing you all a good night, sweet dreams and wishing England luck tomorrow.
xxxx

4 Comments:

  • Dear Han (and Jon), everybody here has absoloutely everything crossed - never mind fingers and toes! Just wish that there was something that we could do to help.
    Love to you both (all three?!)
    Auntie Fred and gang.
    xxxxx

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:54 pm  

  • Dear Han (and Jon), everybody here has absoloutely everything crossed - never mind fingers and toes! Just wish that there was something that we could do to help.
    Love to you both (all three?!)
    Auntie Fred and gang.
    xxxxx

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:54 pm  

  • PS also sorry about the stupidity of posting twice! Blame it on shaky hand!!
    xx

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:55 pm  

  • Hallo there,
    dson't seem to have got this quite right as I left a comment on 9th June -but its not come up - which perhaps means that you did not get my message telling you how everything I had was crossed and that you shoud not worry, even though you felt that was the only thing to do, as what will be will be and everything usually comes out for the best in the end -even if ~"the best" isn't necessarily what you think it might be

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:26 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home