Itchy Feet

Friday, June 16, 2006

Mixed feelings


This will be the second time I have left Peru 'for good'. Sally has been joking that I can't expect to get leaving presents every time I go! For me, this departure is bitter-sweet. The last time I left, I was heading off to Dubai, with great uncertainty and towards something that I was never convinced about.
This time I am heading into the unknown again. I am excited about this new chapter, really happy about Bean and being with Jon, but a little bit scared too. I will really miss Peru, but most of all the friends I have made here in almost three years. They are some of the closest friends of my adult life so far: an interesting, kind and close community that has helped me through some pretty tough times.
Peru is one of those countries that gets under your skin: that drives you nuts with its noise and bureaucracy and the lack of lateral thinking you encounter on a day-to-day basis, but it's also vibrant and fun and unpredictable, home to some of the best food I've ever encountered and some of my favourite places in the world.
Perhaps I would feel less scared about leaving Peru if Jon and I knew for sure that this visa application to Bermuda is going to work, and we will know by the start of July, but it feels like I am cutting the strings with Peru before I have even seen if there are any strings to hold onto anywhere else.
I don't know when I'll next be back in Peru, so for now I'll leave you with this rather unattractive picture of me trying to show Mark that I could figure out how the Peruvian women carry their babies!
Han
xxx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home