Itchy Feet

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Culture clash

Greetings from an overcast island.....
Jon was trying to teach me meteorological symbols on the weather map today, but somewhere between the occluded front and the cold one I got confused. Apparently it means we are in for some grim weather up here in the mid-Atlantic for the next few days, which doesn't help our moving prospects. But, it does give me a fine excuse to go somewhere and watch the football..even if it's not as much fun drinking sprite rather than beer. Jon's happy to drop me off and keep on working; he doesn't like football.
So, what an exciting day. Because Bermuda has loads of people descended from the Portuguese settlers and a healthy dose of Brits, the England-Portugal game has led to somewhat of a split across the island. From what I see, it seems like Sven's men have a decent chance: helped mostly by the aggressive tactics of the Portuguese in the last round and some injuries. But I'd like to see England play better, because I really don't think they have put on a great show as yet. I'm pretty sure Brazil will wipe the floor with the French, although I was very impressed with how the Frogs rallied at the end of their game against Spain, so who knows...but, as many of you know, I do have a bit of a soft spot for the Brazilians, even if it would be nice to see another team win the Cup.
Well, that's quite enough footy talk for one posting. Time to update you on the goings-on in Dockyard and the soap opera that is our life here. We've finally got some furniture and the roll-call at the moment includes: a bed, a sofa, two coffee tables, two comfy chairs and a footstool, a chest of drawers and a blender as well as various mix and match plates and glasses and a vase, a couple of mirrors, a CD-radio and a hairdryer. We did pretty well with a couple of the people we were buying things from, as one was a wealthy re-insurance chap and his wife who were moving back to Marlow. They had some great furniture that was a very good price and the other was a Canadian teacher who wanted to get rid of his stuff so charged us a minimal amount for some of the other things.
I had less luck yesterday when I went to what Bermuda's version of Ebay advertised as a 'mega house sale'. Well, the only thing that was mega about this was the mess. But I found myself in a bit of a 'Catch-22' situation as I had taken the ferry to the other side of the island and the lady who was having the house sale had sent her husband down to pick me up. The house was an old sprawling place full of odds and sods that she had been collecting over 40 years. Now I thought my Granny was a hoarder, but this woman redefined the word. We stumbled from room to room, clambering over furniture and dodging cats and dogs as she pointed through the damp and gloom at things until I became punch drunk. Well, after their hospitality, I couldn't really leave without buying some things, especially as it was cheap and Jon had arranged a truck to come and pick up the furniture and I could hardly tell him over the phone that some of the things wern't overly suitable. Anyway, for the princely sum of $235, I came away with some (okay, I couldn't tell in the dark and no doubt dad will cringe, much as Jon did) MDF chest of drawers, a wooden bookcase, a sofa, loads of plates and glasses and the blender, another chest of drawers which I think they got a bit confused about because I didn't ask for, but of course Jon thought was it the best thing I got, a rather knackered old guitar (I left mine in Peru because I would have had to take that instead of a suitcase) -- apparently my musical expertise doesn't stretch to telling what is a decent guitar from what is crap (it has all its strings for goodness sake!) and a map of the world (although it's American, so apparently I didn't do too well there) and a wine rack. Well, not too bad, and at least I won't have to go off by myself again and buy things!
Well, I've just been summoned to earn my keep and do some work -- it's okay, it's only hanging up clothes -- so, I better waddle off. We should be moving in over the weekend, although still no oven and fridge fitted...we do have one of each that are a bit tatty and will 'do for now' -- this seems to be becoming our favourite phrase.
As for the rat on the roof: no sign of it for a couple of days, although we now have an army of ants in the cottage and there was another flipping cockroach on the window sill this morning....this should keep Big Cuz amused for now. As for our anonymous posting guest, if it's you Mark, I know what you're like. I did have a strange dream last night about living with nuns. I was working in Madrid for the BBC and Rageh Omaar was there and I had to wear a wimpole. Odd, and I can't blame it on drugs or drink!
Lots of love to you all
xxx

2 Comments:

  • Come on England! - 4 minutes to kick-off, more later, along with the beers and hopefully not tears!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:00 pm  

  • Didn't the 'P>S>' at the begining of the 'Anonymous' posting give it away? Blame it on the universal brain-turning-to-mush syndrome of pregnancy!!

    As regards your football predictions - wrong on both counts! Remind me to never ask you for a sporting tip. Think I'll stick to Alex as the family sporting pundit!!

    Also, I'm amazed at your astuteness in grabbing the American map of the world. Bet it's pretty unique... What countries other than USA and oil producing states does it show? Does 'abroad' come under 'A'?
    (Apologies to any Americans who may be reading this!)

    You sound as if you are still keeping well. How are the most famous ankles in The Triangle?
    Love and hugs
    xxxx

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:24 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home